December 2002 – Present
Lars Peterson Editorial Services (Long Beach, CA)
- I provide a range of editorial services including writing, copywriting, developmental and line editing, copy editing and proofreading. My clients include authors, publishers, corporate communications departments, software developers, travel agencies, print designers and entertainment marketing agents. I’ve written travel guides, website copy, software user manuals, home entertainment packaging, and movie key art tag lines.
September 1999 – December 2002
Mars Publishing/Parent’s Guide Press (Los Angeles, CA)
- Developed and edited non-fiction trade-paperback books.
- The editor position at Mars/PG Press encompassed Acquisition, Developmental Editing, and Production Editing. I worked with the publisher and sales staff to develop catalogs. I hired writers, maintained editorial direction and consistency across the press’ series and titles, managed freelance copy editors, managed in house graphic design staff, approved book & cover design, and, ultimately, coordinated printing with printers.
- I managed the company’s transition from book packager to book publisher, developing an editorial production cycle that improved the overall quality of the company’s publications while maintaining rapid turnaround from manuscript to printed book. Prior to the Fall 2000 catalog, the company had published two titles for which it held copyright; it published 25 during my tenure, all of which I edited. Fifteen titles were planned for 2003. I hired writers and planned editorial and production schedules for those titles prior to my departure.
- I copy-edited and proofread manuscripts from page-length to book-length.
- I developed and wrote marketing materials including press releases, brochures, catalogs, direct mail.
- During my two years as editor, I was responsible for more than three-dozen published, or planned, books. See the attached list of publications for details on titles I edited while with Mars/PGP.
June 1999 – September 1999
CamSight Co., Inc. (Los Angeles, CA)
- Wrote, copyedited, and designed computer software and optical instrument user’s manuals. Wrote and copy edited press releases, sales kit copy, and software help files. Provided website content.
Editor-in-Chief, RipRap, The Literary Journal of the English Department, CSULB
May 1998 – May 1999
English Department, CSULB (Long Beach, CA)
- Appointed editorial staff, and approved the selection of poetry, art, and fiction submissions.
- Executed publication layout using Pagemaker 6.5.
- Coordinated book publication with campus printer.
Teaching Associate, English 205, Introduction to Fiction Writing
August 1998 – December 1998
English Department, CSULB (Long Beach, CA)
- Taught techniques of fiction writing and of fiction critique.
- Developed course materials including reading lists and writing exercises.
- Worked closely with writers to improve specific works (grammar and structure) and writing process.
Assistant to the Controller
April 1994 – October 1998
Holly’s Harp Inc. (Culver City, CA)
- Primarily responsible for Accounts Receivable with this high-end dress manufacturer.
- Assisted the Controller with month-end, quarterly and fiscal year-end statements.
- Worked with software and hardware vendors to replace the company’s inventory control and accounting systems.
Commercial Fisherman (Sea Cucumbers & Sea Urchins)
June 1993 – February 1994
F/V Skipjack (San Pedro, CA)
- Responsible for stocking and managing onboard supplies of food and water.
- Monitored the vessel’s air compressor while in operation and assisted the diving crew.
- Performed routine boat maintenance and repairs.
- Kept a sharp weather eye.
Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing
California State University, Long Beach, May 1999
Activities and Honors:
- RipRap Editorial Staff, Spring 1998
- Chair, CSULB Publishing Symposium, April 1998
- MFA Reading, Long Beach Spoken Word Festival, September 1998
- Kaleidoscope Festival, Odyssey Project Artist/Writer Collaboration, Gallery C, December 1998
- PAD Program High School Classroom Tutor
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, May 1999
- Graduate Dean’s List nominee, College of Liberal Arts, May 1999
- Honorable Mention, Outstanding Thesis, College of Liberal Arts, May 1999
- 3.95 GPA
Bachelor of Arts, English, Creative Writing
California State University, Long Beach, August, 1997
Pagemaker, Quark Express, Photoshop, MS Office, Various Internet Applications — all for Mac or PC.
Editorial services for, authorship of user manuals and strategy guides for a diversity of clients, platforms and genres. Clients include Disney Interactive, Take Two, THQ, among others. Titles include The Blair Witch Projects, Treasure Island, Lilo and Stitch, The Operational Art of War, Kim Possible, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and many more.
A Parent’s Guide to Chicago
ISBN 0-9675127-8-6 Spring 2001
A Parent’s Guide to Los Angeles
ISBN 0-9675127-1-9 Spring 2001
A Parent’s Guide to New York
ISBN 0-9675127-0-0 Fall 2001
A Parent’s Guide to San Francisco
ISBN 1-931199-03-5 Fall 2001
A Parent’s Guide to Boston
ISBN 1-931199-11-6 Spring 2002
A Parent’s Guide to Seattle
ISBN 1-931199-10-8 Spring 2002
A Parent’s Guide to Washington, D.C.
ISBN 1-931199-02-7 Spring 2002
A Parent’s Guide to St. Louis
ISBN 1-931199-14-0 Fall 2002
A Parent’s Guide to Toronto
ISBN 1-931199-17-5 Fall 2002
A Parent’s Guide to the Twin Cities & Minnesota
ISBN 1-931199-15-9 Fall 2002
A Parent’s Guide to Atlanta
ISBN 1-931199-23-X Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to Dallas
ISBN 1-931199-24-8 Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to Detroit & Southeastern Michigan
ISBN 1-931199-25-6 Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to Houston
ISBN 1-931199-26-4 Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to Philadelphia
ISBN 1-931199-27-2 Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to San Diego
ISBN 1-931199-28-0 Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to the Internet
ISBN 0-9675127-9-4 Fall 2001
A Parent’s Guide to The Best Children’s Videos
ISBN 1-931199-04-3 Fall 2001
The Best Children’s Literature
ISBN 1-931199-18-3 Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to School Projects
ISBN 1-931199-08-6 Spring 2002
A Parent’s Guide to Homeschooling
ISBN 1-931199-09-4 Spring 2002
The School Projects Idea Book
ISBN 1-931199-29-9 Spring 2003
After Homeschool: 15 Homeschoolers out in the Real World
ISBN 1-931199-30-2 Spring 2003
Doing Their Best: Encouraging Children to Earn Good Grades
ISBN 1-931199-31-0 Spring 2003
A Parent’s Guide to Money
ISBN 1-931199-19-1 Fall 2002
A Parent’s Guide to First Aid
ISBN 1-931199-20-5 Fall 2002
The Father’s Guide
ISBN 1-931199-22-1 Fall 2002